Monday, December 29, 2008

A 60's Memory



I came across an auction for a Schwinn Stingray, which was identical to the one I received for Christmas in the late 60's. I loved that bike. Rode it every day, polished it, and added all the gaudy trim. Streamers from the handlebars and playing cards pinned to the spokes. I can still remember the sound of those playing cards clicking as we raced down the hill to the corner market, and the day we went to the Mom & Pop bike shop by the beach to pick it out. It's all still very clear to me...
Now why can't I remember where I laid my keys or reading glasses? :(

4 comments:

Amy said...

ahahha If you have not owned a bike with a banana seat and sissy bars you have not lived..ok mine had a basket and a bell too:) did yours? happy NEW YEAR budsky, Tom Jenna Ivan & Sophie too:) xo

Shab-n-Chic said...

I didn't have the bell, but got a basket later on with ugly plastic flowers on it. Haha...I loved that silver seat..it sparkled! Happy New Year to you all!

Unknown said...

Oh yes......loved the banana seat and the handle bars.......thanks for the memory!

Anonymous said...

I had this bike too! Mine had a basket. I think I rode enough miles on the bike to cover the world!