Wednesday, January 7, 2009

An Angel In Hell's Kitchen


The heat was turned up in my kitchen last night, as my little angel hosted her first dinner party. It was her friend Andrew's 19th birthday, and a home cooked dinner and cake was his gift from Jenna. They went to HS together and he's currently home on break from Cornell. She wore her new favorite apron from Anthropologie, looking straight out of the 1950's with her little pin curled bangs. :)
Notice whose sitting in MY chair? She has a habit of jumping in anyone's seat who leaves for a second. Pretty sneaky Miss Sophie, but I've got your number!





She prepared one of my favorite dishes, Yakisoba and a platter of deep fried cream cheese & crab filled won tons. Yakisoba is a Japanese noodle that she stir fries with zucchini, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts and baby corn. Half eaten, but you get the picture. :)


I love this dish and it's an easy one to prepare, but not while you are trying to prepare appetizers and dessert at the same time!

Needless to say, the kitchen turned into Hell's Kitchen for a brief period of time, and I was ordered on more than occasion to "Get out!" I think she was a bit stressed trying to make the filling and icing for the cake, whilst chopping veggies and stuffing her won ton skins.

It ended well, dinner was served, and everyone let out a simultaneous Mmmmm...at first bite. We all fought over the last Won Ton. The cake she baked was one that was featured on the December issue of Bon Appetit. Devil's Food Layer Cake. She made a slight variation in the frosting by changing the peppermint extract to vanilla. Layered with dark chocolate ganache and white chocolate cream, then topped with a marshmallowy vanilla frosting. She did the math on the calories and fat grams per slice...you don't want to know.

Just cut me a small piece Jenna. Ummm..I guess you didn't hear me. I said a SMALL piece?


It was oh so yummy and everyone took home two slices, thank goodness! I would have surely gained 5 lbs from eating that over the next few days.

3 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

What a delicious-sounding meal your daughter made! (Your reference to Hell's Kitchen had me chuckling!) We love Asian food here at home... the Yakisoba sounds YUMMY! Looking forward to the photos!

Rose of Sharon said...

How cute! I love the 50s hair and dress..adorable!!! That cake looks so good!

~ Sharon

Amy said...

oh my gosh! look how cute she is! and the Good food...reminds me of that one cook, can't recall his name now...but he is australian or English I think... I think, cooks for his friends, makes my mouth water! Bud ya can't let her leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good job Jen! Wish I lived closer!