Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Mother's Letter



My Mother has had this sweet little wooden dresser sitting atop her chest of drawers for as long as I can remember, but yesterday it was sitting on the kitchen counter. She told me that she wanted to give it to my daughter Jenna. The little chest was a Mother's Day gift from my father to his mother in 1941. It was filled with chocolates and tied with a pretty blue satin bow. Over the years it has traveled many miles and has suffered a few injuries along the way. The mirror is loose and one drawer was broken and repaired, but we're happy it's still with us. Inside the box were mementos that she kept from my father's time spent in the military. When my grandmother passed, my father brought it back home and placed it atop his dresser where it stayed until now. Inside one of the drawers was letter that my father had received from his Mother in 1942 while serving in the Army. A mother writes...



My Dear Son - Will write a few lines as I just got your suitcase from the depot. The charges were $1.72 but was glad to pay it. It is such a beauty. I can't open it until I get a key made for it for I don't know where your key is. This has been a rainy day. Have had so much rain this week, water standing every where but it's good to have rain again after so many dry years. The grain and pastures look fine. I came to town with Dad this morning and just rained so we are still here. Don took us out to his place for dinner.We are at the station now. Everyone sure admires the little dresser. I won't eat any of the candy until Mother's Day. Will think of you with every bite. Wish I could send you things, but others say you won't get things until they are spoiled.
Good Bye Dear, and write often. Mother

7 comments:

Donna Lynn said...

This is a beautiful, touching story, and it is so sweet that your daughter gets to have this treasure passed to her!

Thank you for sharing your Mothers Day story with me.
Bless you,
Donna Lynn

Patina said...

Nancy, that is so sweet, what a treasure! Debbie

FourSistersInACottage said...

Just stopping by to Wish You a WONDERFUL HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY MOTHER'S DAY!!!
Hugs and Love,
Amy (Mom to the Four Sisters)

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Oh that is such a special family treasure! Your daughter is one lucky girl to inherit it! Happy Mother's Day, Nancy!

Amy said...

That's sweet bud...a real family treasure! Happy Mothers day puffy wuffy:) xo

Anonymous said...

I love witnessing the passing of traditions and keepsakes from one generation to the next. One of the blogs I read on Mothers Day spoke about how we moms think Mother's Day is about us... about how we are a gift to our family... but really it is the reverse... it is about our family being the greatest gift a mom can have. And what a gift you have with your mom, your brother, your daughter, your hubby.

Art by Ronda Juniper Ray said...

What a sweet and lovely and heart-warming story; it took my breath away. Thank you so much for sharing.

Ronda