Saturday, May 3, 2008

To Paint or Not To Paint...


I went to my favorite thrift store the other day, and my first stop is always the unloading area where there are usually at least 4-5 other people hanging around, mostly men looking for electronics and tools. So I see this piece being unloaded, but I'm not quite sure what it is because it looks like it should have a base to it. As I got closer, I just held my breath because I knew, I had to have it. I also knew it would fit in the back of my Highlander, perfectly.

I tend to get excited when I find something like this, but I had to keep my cool when I asked " So...how much?" I would have probably paid double. Now it sits on my patio until I decide what to do... It's solid oak and I'm sure with a little TLC, it can be brought to life, but sometimes I look at it and envision it painted. The doors have the original old thick wavy glass.

It's missing a bit of the fretwork but who cares..not me!

Oh...the things I could put in this! My first thought was over a desk...it can stand or it could be hung. And then, the more I looked it, the more I thought how perfect this would be in a bath! Filled with towels and toiletries. Of course it wouldn't fit in our bath, but it might be worth adding one just to make this work!
So what would you do with it?

05/09:
I appreciate all your votes everyone, and as you can see, it's a close one!
I tend to agree with my friend Gloria who wrote "Unless you have a perfect spot for it right now, I wouldn't paint it. Who knows, maybe when you get ready to add a bathroom, you will know whether to paint or not."

As of now, I would have to remove a large piece of furniture to hang this on the wall, and I'm not quite ready for that. So for now, it will find a place in the garage until it's time to bring it in. We used to keep our cars in there.Imagine that! I'll keep the poll open for now. :)






















6 comments:

Kelly said...

That piece is simply divine. What a score! I just found your blog today and I love it!!

btw...I would paint it and totally see it in a bathroom.

Kelli

Patina said...

What a fantastic find!
Debbie

Cape Cod Washashore said...

WOW!!!!! That's a GORGEOUS piece!!!!

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

You find things like that at the thrift store??!! I'm so jealous! That's fantastic! I've always wondered about hanging around the loading dock, but around here they won't sell anything until it's gone through the pricing process and it's out on the floor.

Thanks for stopping by the blog. The cement planter thing is spoken for. I was talking to a friend on the phone as she clicked on the blog and she told me to mark it sold. I haven't decided how to price the chocolate display. But don't let that scare you. I do always try to be reasonable and usually tend to err on the cheap side. Let me get some close up pictures and figure out a price for you. And what shipping would be. If you'll send me your email address to wcraft (@) bellsouth.net I'll send them to you that way. I'm trying to protect that email address from gobs of spam, so I put the parenthesis around the @ symbol.

Wanda

A Wild Thing said...

SCORE...you did good girl...what I would probably do, especially if I kept for myself is strip it down and leave it...no finish, just weathered wood look...very European. OK, tomorrow I hit the Good Will...have fun...sharon

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, paint it white I say! There are so many wonderful places you can use this, incredible!

Joy