Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Sunday lesson....

It was a little cooler today,thank goodness! Jenn and I ventured out to the flea market this morning at 6:30am. The same teenager who can sleep until 11am, will wake up before me when she's itching to go junking...hmmmm. So the first row we go down, she spots this ...and does what every seasoned junker should never do. She asks the seller, "how much?" and when he tells her the price, she immediately exclaims " I have to have this!" and proceeds to whip out the wallet. No no no...do you not understand how this process works my little butterfly? First you ask the price, then you hesitate and say hmmmm..I don't know...I'll think about it. I think the seller could sense that I was trying to pull her away to explain how a flea market works, so he says, "I'll take off $5" Well, that sealed it for her. She handed him the $25 before I could blink. I think she may have slightly over paid, but to see the look on her face as she clutched that print was priceless.

8 comments:

Patina said...

How fun! It sounds like you and Jenn had a great time. Did you find any treasures while shopping?

Cape Cod Washashore said...

How sweet! She'll never part with it nor forget this story for a LONG time!

Amy said...

yup yup gotto not get too excited either! you have to act verrry cool:) cute print tho!

Sentimentally Me said...

Mornin' Nancy! How lucky you are to have a junkin' buddy! My two just roll their eyes when I head out on my treasure hunts ~ unless of course, it's to the mall :)

PS * the little hat box will be sold, probably on my website. Keep your eyes peeled, gurlie! Have a great day!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I had that print in my room when I was about 5 years old!

(I'd still bargain for it if I saw it at a flea market, though!)

A Wild Thing said...

Sometimes a girls just gotta do it, we have all over paid one time or another...but as long as you guys had a great day, that's all that matters. My 40 year old daughter hates antiques, but has been around them all her life (moi) so she adjusts...you lucky Mom...

sharon

Junkers On The Loose said...

I absolutely LOVE this story! Having been one of those 'dealers' I can relate to what you describe as to how it's "supposed" to work. I'm thinking, however, that I gotta be one of the goofy ones as the moment I would see the excitement on someone's face, especially a young girl, at a chance to snag their 'perfect' piece, I'd want them to have it so badly that I'd drop the price down alot for um! haha Maybe this explains why I'm broke?? It didn't matter...I loved seeing all the smiles and can't wait to get back on the road....Thanks for sharing your story....and I bet you're still smiling everytime you get to rerun that memory in your mind. Smiles, Lorie

Art by Ronda Juniper Ray said...

Ha ha! What a great story! She'll get the hang of it, and in the mean time, she'll love this print forever!